Any member of the clerk’s office can issue licenses to couples who appear in person during normal business hours for a NYS ceremony only. There is a $40 fee (cash, check or money order made out to Town of New Paltz). Documents required/accepted:
-Birth certificates, Baptismal Certificate, School Records
-Current photo identification
-Divorce/annulment papers, death certificates, where applicable.
All documents must be in English. It is the responsibility of the couple to seek translations for documents in foreign languages. Passports do not take the place of birth certificates.
Once the license is issued, there is a mandatory 24-hour waiting period. The license is good for 60 days. It is the responsibility of the couple to seek an officiant to perform the ceremony.
Marriage Transcripts/Certified Copies for couples whose licenses are filed in the Town of New Paltz are available for a $10 fee (cash, check or money order made out to Town of New Paltz). A request form is required along with a photocopy of photo id and a self-addressed stamped envelope (if not appearing in person). *Application for Marriage Record*
The Town Clerk's Office can also provide Marriage Transcripts for Genealogical Purposes. The fees for these records vary depending on the number of years searched. The application must be accompanied by a photocopy of photo id, as well as a self-addressed stamped envelope (if not appearing in person). *Application for Genealogy Record* The purpose or reason for the request must be specific with as much detail as possible.
Information may be released for genealogy research subject to the following requirements:
- The marriage certificate has been on file for at least 50 years; and
- The bride and groom are known by the applicant to be deceased.
For more information, visit the New York State Department of Health's website at: http://www.health.ny.gov/.
- Dog Control, Licenses, Redemptions and Rabies Clinic
- Event Request Application (In the Town only)
- Freedom of Information Application
- Games of Change/Bingo/Bell Jar
- Hunting & Fishing Licenses
- Obtaining a Marriage License
- Parade Request Application
- Peddler Permit Application
- Town & County Property Taxes
- United States Postal Service Resolution
- Vital Records
- Water & Sewer Utility Billings