The Town of New Paltz adopted Local Law No. 5 of 2020, codified as Article III, entitled “Real Estate Transfer Tax”, of Chapter 59 of the Town of New Paltz Town Code, entitled “Community Preservation.” The law imposes a one and one-half percent (1.5%) real estate transfer tax on each conveyance of real property or interest therein.
The transfer tax applies to all such conveyances in the Town of New Paltz, including the Village of New Paltz, occurring on or after February 1, 2021 unless a binding written contract was entered into prior to such date, provided that the date of execution of such contract is confirmed by independent evidence such as the recording of the contract, payment of a deposit, or other facts and circumstances acceptable to the County Commissioner of Finance (Section 59-9 of the Town Code).
- Click here to view the Notice of Conveyances of Real Estate in the Town of New Paltz
- Click here to view the Real Estate Transfer Tax Local Law of 2020
- Click here for the Tax Form for Submission to the County Clerk
- Click here for Median Property Value for Ulster County
- Click here for Frequently Asked Questions
Please refer to the Preservation Fund Advisory Board page for related materials regarding the Community Preservation Fund.